About / CV
Will is an innovator and entrepreneur, having launched 6 high-tech ventures, and having been an executive leader and board member for Fortune 500 companies, a military officer, and is an active philanthropist.
He is currently the Chairman and CEO of OV Loop, Inc., a next generation payments and messaging platform (akin to WeChat) to reduce friction and cost from commerce experiences on virtually any device, anywhere.
Will is also Chief Executive Officer at Indigo Technologies, to deliver ultra efficient and affordable electric mobility, with patented breakthroughs in electric propulsion, battery management, and wireless charging.
Prior to OV Loop and Indigo, he was Global Co-GM of Samsung Pay after Samsung acquired his company LoopPay. He helped launch Samsung Pay with LoopPay’s patented MST technology, currently embedded in hundreds of millions of smartphones for universally accepted Tap & Pay experiences.
Will also founded ROAM Data, (acquired by Ingenico) at that time ROAM was world’s largest white label supplier of Square-like mPOS solutions, which enabled millions of merchants around the world to accepted payment cards; Prior to ROAM, Mr. Graylin founded: WAY Systems, the world’s first pocket-sized mobile point-of-sale provider (acquired by Verifone); and EntitleNet, a security software company (acquired by BEA Systems/later Oracle).
He recently served on the Board of Synchrony Financials (NYSE: SYF, largest private label credit card issuer in the world.) for seven years, and is also currently an investor/director/mentor to more than a dozen high-tech startups. He also supports non-profit organizations including ROCA (serving high risk young men and women in 21 communities in the U.S.) and on the Board of Directors for Global Unites (youth movement for conflict transformation, in 13 countries).
Will immigrated to the U.S. from China at the age of 12, and he earned two Bachelors degrees from the University of Washington in Electrical Engineering Computer Science (EECS) and Chinese Linguistics, and earned two Masters degrees from MIT (MS EECS and MS Business). He is currently a Connection Science Fellow with MIT Media Lab, and had been teaching part time at MIT on Fintech Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
His service to his country includes 6 years as a U.S. Nuclear Submarine Officer, and his family continues this tradition with one son currently in the United States Naval Academy.
Academic History - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT Media Lab – Will Graylin is a Connection Science Fellow with MIT Media Lab. He has also taught jointly the “Future Commerce” Media Lab course, (course MAS. S72) — both the online version and in-class version with office hours.
MIT Sloan School – He has also lectured for the “Managing in Adversity” class at the Sloan School of Management (course 15.386)
OV LOOP, Founder & Chairman – providing a platform for facilitating Conversational Commerce
INDIGO TECHNOLOGIES, Executive Chairman and CEO – EVs for Scalable Urban Mobility
2019 – Present
SYNCHRONY FINANCIAL, Board Of Directors – The largest issuer of white-label credit in the U.S.
2015 – 2022
SAMSUNG PAY, Inc. (Formerly LoopPay, Inc. Acquired by Samsung in 2015) CEO, and Global Co-GM Samsung Pay – Mobile Wallet and Commerce Services Company
2012 – 2018
ROAM DATA, INC. (Acquired by Ingenico 2012), Founder/CEO (Mobile Commerce Platform and Services Company)
2007 – 2012
WAY SYSTEMS, INC. (Acquired by Verifone), Founder/CEO (Mobile Point-of-sale services and Payment Gateway)
ENTITLENET, INC. (Acquired by BEA Systems, now Oracle), Founder CEO (Security Software Company, Access Management for Web apps)
MARBLES, INC. (later: SKYFIRE TECHNOLOGIES), Co-Founder President (Wireless Computing Software / Internet Startup)
1999 – 2000
EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY, Intern during Masters Degree at MIT. Advance Technology Group (Wireless Computing)
U.S. NAVY NUCLEAR SUBMARINE OFFICER (SSBN 728G), Line Officer – Electrical, Reactor Controls & Sonar Division Officer, Damage Controls Assistant (DCA)
1992 – 1998
IBM CORPORATION, Engineering Intern (for combined 9 months of Co-op)
1990 – 1991
Will has numerous patents on payments, security and voice-powered communications, including:
- Graylin, Will Wang et al., “System and method for playing rich internet applications in remote computing devices” U.S. Patent Number US7650390B2, Granted 2010-01-19
- Graylin, Will Wang et al., “Wearable headset with self-contained vocal feedback and vocal command” U.S. Patent Number US20100041447A1, Pending 2012-10-30
- Graylin, Will Wang et al., “System and method for incorporating one-time tokens, coupons, and reward systems into merchant point of sale checkout systems” U.S. Patent Number US20130054336A1, Pending 2013-02-28
- Graylin, Will Wang et al., “System and method for a secure cardholder load and storage device” U.S. Patent Number US9195983B2, Granted 2015-11-24
- Graylin, Will Wang et al., “System and method for electronic fund transfers for use with gaming systems” U.S. Patent Number US8715066B2, Granted 2014-05-06
- System and method for developing rich internet applications for remote computing devices” U.S. Patent Number US8341595B2, Granted 2012-12-25
Honors & Awards
Will is grateful to have the following:
- President of Eta Kappa Nu (EE/CS Honor Society).
- Academic Honor Societies: Tau Beta Pi, Phi Eta Sigma, Golden Key.
- National Co-op Education Association’s Co-op Student of the Year 1990.
- Awarded Four Academic Scholarships to attend U of W.
- IBM’s Management Appreciation Award for co-inventing and implementing a new processor testing device which sped up testing more than 1000 folds from old method. Patent/Disclosures: IBM Tech Disclosure Bulletin Vol.34 No.7B, Co-author TR 07.1445